Need To Make a Tough Decision? Here’s a good technique that can help …
Millions of Americans are registering their decision right now. Many of them will have decided already. But some will inevitably find it a tough choice. We’re all faced with what seem like impossibly hard choices from time to time.
Here are ten ways to help you make a difficult decision – which I use a lot when I’m coaching executives. Take a bit of time to think about your answers. You can apply this technique equally well in business and in your personal life:
- 1 What will happen if I do this?
- 2 What will happen if I do not do this?
- 3 What will not happen if I do this?
- 4 What will not happen if I do not do this? (this one can take a while to get your head around but persevere!)
- 5 What do I want to happen today as a result of my decision?
- 6 What do I not want to happen today as a result of my decision?
- 7 What do I want to happen in xxxx days or months as a result of my decision? (you choose the time frame)
- 8 How will I view this decision when I look back in five/ten years time?
- 9 What am I scared of in making this decision? Is it worth being scared about?
- 10 If I had a gun to my head right now and I had to make this decision in a split second, what would my gut say?
And if you want a bonus question – this one really gets you thinking: what would it be like if I did know what to do here?
Scott Solder is a Business Coach, Communications Consultant and Guest Speaker – Click for more details of coaching services
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Your answer lifts the inngilleetce of the debate.